‘The food you eat manifests itself in your body. So choose wisely.’
A few points when taken care of, even a layman can choose his/her food that best suits his/her medical condition. Here are a few of them regarding depression.
1) Nutrients essential to boost your mental strength to fight depression
- Tryptophan ( an essential amino acid found only in foods and not produced in the body)
It gets converted to Serotonin (the happy hormone) inside the body.
Tryptophan → Serotonin
(Obtained from protein in food) (Inside the body)
[Exercise also increases Serotonin levels]
Good Sources: Spinach, Eggs, Cheese, Nuts and Seeds, Fish, Chicken, Turkey, Dark Chocolate, Chickpeas, Pumpkin, etc.
- Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium and Vitamin B6 helps convert Tryptophan to Serotonin.
Good sources: Pistachios, Bananas, Pumpkin
- Melatonin, the Sleep Hormone
Good Sources: Prunes, Oats, Cherries
- Anti-oxidants, the Stressbusters of our body.
These include chemicals like polyphenols, fine elements like Selenium, etc.
Sources: Oats, Curcumin (Turmeric), The Dark-colored fruits and vegetables,
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids
Sources: Pumpkin, Nuts, and Seeds.
2) Foods to avoid on the path of fighting depression
- Foods causing a sudden trigger in blood sugar level.
Say No to foods that give us instant energy. Examples: Energy drinks, Fruit juices (Eat whole fruit instead), Refined Wheat flour, etc.
Foods high in sugar content do make us feel highly energetic and happy instantly but the emotional high comes down as rapidly as it went up after a short while. So better avoid it except for occasional indulgence.
- Sudden brain stimulants or depressants like tea, coffee, and alcohol respectively.
Drink herbal refreshing drinks instead like Chamomile tea, Black spiced tea (with black pepper, cardamom), etc.
- Foods that are high in salt content.
So, include more of the desirable ingredients while eliminating the undesirable ones. I’m sure slowly and steadily, things improve; your mood improves and thus does your life.